RE: Complexity of HTML5 (was Re: The Complexity Argument)

Steven Rowat wrote:

> The issue of how to sell content produced by individuals remains
> unsolved in HTML5, as you have stated. What I am attempting to say is
> that this is not a minor issue and it is unsolved for over two decades
> now. Meanwhile monetization of the web will proceed; is proceeding;
> but not for individuals; only for those with deep pockets.

What you are talking about is a process and a business model - neither are
really in scope for the creation of the *tools* to develop these processes
and business models.

HTML5 is simply the tool set available to all. It's like a hammer and saw:
You can become a professional carpenter who frames out a house, an
accomplished hobbyist or craftsman building fine cabinetry, or simply a
home handyman who can build shelves for their garage.  The tools don't
change, the use and capability of the tool-user changes.

There are scores of newly emergent 'Web 2.0' services and sites that
leverage new functionalities today, without completely figuring out the
monetization of the service to date. As well, the emergence of sites such
as ebay/paypal or google checkout, and the overwhelming number of
low-cost-to-free 'shopping cart' scripts available for download allows the
individual end user an unprecedented ability to 'open shop' on the web
today.

I'm personally having a hard time understand where the issue is.

JF