Re: [TAG post:] "HTML 5's proposed basis in DOM/JS skews web control and monetization..."

Hi Steven,

On Sep 13, 2009, at 9:06 PM, Steven Rowat wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Please forgive the cross-list reference, but I believe this short
> essay I placed in the TAG (Technical Architecture Group) list is
> potentially of interest for many HTML 5 WG members (and others
> concerned with the future of HTML 5).
>
> "HTML 5's proposed basis in DOM/JS skews web control and
> monetization towards corporations and away from individual authors/
> researchers, to the detriment of society."
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Sep/0028.html

I'd like to make a few points in reply to your concerns:

1) Although HTML5 is defined in terms of a DOM, it is not defined in
terms of JavaScript. The DOM is a language-independent API and
abstract model. Authors writing simple, script-free markup do not need
to understand the details of the DOM.

2) Many aspects of the HTML5 spec's style are challenging for anyone
but experts on the technology. We're expecting that additional works,
both from the Working Group and from third parties, will present the
material in a more accessible way. Some things we're working on
include a markup-only authoring-only spec which uses much less
jargon[1], and an authoring guide which takes a more how-to
approach[2]. At least one professionally written highly approachable
book is already in the works[3].

3) In addition, HTML5 has many features that should be greatly
beneficial to everyday authors, expert or not. New structural tags
like <nav> and <header> make it more clear how to build the basic
structure of a Web page. New form controls and interactive elements,
such as <input type="date"> amd <details>, will provide easy access to
functionality that today take heaping big piles of JavaScript. And new
elements for media (<video> and <audio>) and dynamic graphics
(<canvas>) will enable everyday authors and hobbyists to easily do
things that in HTML4.01 require plugins or even whole external
development environments with their own programming languages. For
these reasons and more, many Web design gurus like the general
approach of HTML5[4]. Many authors have blogged about their
experiences with adopting HTML5, one example is here[5].

4) Finally, a word on tone. Your post presents the HTML5 effort as a
corporate plot to make things harder for individual authors
deliberately, to extract monopoly profits. Casting things that way is
unlikely to lead to constructive conversation. When you use hyperbole
like that, people tend to stop listening to each other and get in
defensive mode. Many volunteers have contributed their time and effort
to HTML5, and I suspect they won't like being portrayed as corporate
stooges. I advise you to find constructive ways to express your
concerns. Many of us would like to do everything we can to make HTML5
approachable to authors. Everyone from amateurs writing in a text
editor, to professional designers, to consumers using simplified
visual design tools, to corporations planning massive enterprise
deployments, to citizen-journalists using ready-made blogging
platforms. If you feel these goals are not being met, I would
encourage you to focus on concrete problems and specific improvements
we can make. That kind of feedback is much more likely to move things
forward.

I encourage you to read over the materials I linked, and think about
ways we can make the language more accessible to everyday authors.

Regards,
Maciej

[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/markup-spec/
[2] http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/