Re: Change back the semantics of <cite>

Le 10 sept. 2009 à 20:16, Smylers a écrit :
>> Or perhaps <cite> needs the role attribute?
>
> We could add <cite role=name> and define it as a name which doesn't
> need
> highlighting to users.  But that would be cramming two meanings into
> one
> element, and would be displayed in italics (or whatever) in existing
> browsers.  If we're going to invent something for this situation why
> not
> <name> or <person>, so the two meanings are entirely distinct?

For 8 or 9 years, I'm using cite for person's name which are author of
something, depending on the context in the text.

1. <cite class="auteur">Yanagi, Soetsu</cite>  (author)
2. <cite class="titre">Artisan et inconnu</cite> (title)
class="titre">Artisan et inconnu</cite>. p.20, L'Asiathèque. 1992</p>
(full source)

The issue usually when using

     <cite>Yanagi, Soetsu, Artisan et
           inconnu. p.20, L'Asiathèque. 1992
           </cite>

is the lack of structure for working with the text. Sure, I could use
spans too. But that would cover only the case when the source is an
academic citation with the full source in the text. Most of the time
in text, we write about a title and an author (think blogs,
newspapers, novels for example) not in the same chunk of text.

If we restrict the usage of cite to full source citation, then we need
something to markup authors and titles (and a way to relate them if
they are apart in the text.)

     <cite about="urn:isbn:978-2901795513"
           property="dc:title">
           Artisan et inconnu