Re: More on SVG within HTML pages

On Sep 8, 2009, at 7:31 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Shelley Powers wrote:
>> If the page does not show correctly, most people send an email to
>> the page author, or ignore it.
>
> If they're using the browser they've been using for years, yes.
>
> If they are using a new browser or new version of a browser and a
> page does not show correctly they conclude that the browser is
> broken and go back to whatever they were using before.  Especially
> if this is a page they need to look at often.
>
>> I doubt that many people will surf the web, come upon a single page
>> that isn't working and make an assumption that the browser is broken.
>
> You can doubt, but based on what I see in user feedback, that's
> precisely what happens: people try a new browser, browse around for
> a few hours, if they see any pages broken they conclude the browser
> is broken and stop using it.  Chances of them trying that browser
> again are low.

I can confirm that we see the same dynamic for Safari. If a page works
in another browser or in an older version of Safari, but not in new
Safari, people assume the new browser is broken. Many times, such
cases are the result of a bug fix to be more standards-compliant or
more compatible with other pages, but users do not bother to
investigate this and are generally not interested in hearing that kind
of explanation.

Regards,
Maciej