Re: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5

On Sep 1, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Tantek Celik wrote:

> Re: spec on form control styling:
>
> http://w3.org/TR/css3-ui
>
> Re: not as fast-moving

It seems like CSS3-UI currently provides facilities that are
complementary to what we are discussing. It has the facilities to make
a regular CSS box look like a form control. It also has some pseudo-
elements for form controls in different states. It does not seem to
specify how styling of standard HTML form controls works (or that it
needs to work at all), although they are indeed used in a few
examples. In addition, we found that to make styling work for some of
the more complex form controls, we had to introduce new pseudo-
elements and appearance values.

Further, some of the appearance values in CSS3UI seem like things we
are not interested in implementing. For example, window and its
subtypes are not something we want to offer, nor are most of the menu
subtypes. Simulating the appearance of all aspects of native
application UI is not really a goal for us.

That being said, CSS3UI seems like a fine starting point for fully
specifying form control styling, if others are agreed that this should
be the point from which to start.

> Without officially speaking for CSS WG, I believe we (CSS WG) are
> waiting on implementations, though test-suite contributions are also
> encouraged.

I think that to see full implementation in WebKit and to also satisfy
the use cases for form control styling, the spec would need to see
some significant revisions.

> Maciej, how much of CSS3UI does WebKit implement?

We implement quite a few of the properties in the spec as -webkit-
prefixed extensions (or just as vanilla properties in cases where they
are pre-existing). Specifically, we have 'outline', 'box-sizing',
'appearance', 'resize' and 'cursor'. We don't have all the state
pseudo-selectors, but expect to add the ones relevant to HTML5's form
facilities as we implement those.