Re: Last Call Criteria (Re: WhatWG Issued last call for HTML5)

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Shelley Powers wrote:
>
>> What does this mean for the work in this group?
>>
>> http://blog.whatwg.org/html5-at-last-call
>>

> Nothing. HTML WG is not taking the draft to Last Call at this time. We
> haven't yet discussed in detail the HTML WG's criteria for going to Last
> Call with a draft. I propose that at the very least we need to do the
> following:
>
> 1) Resolve all bugzilla bugs and tracker issues (up to some cutoff date,
> after which new issues would be considered Last Call issues).
> 2) Define CR Exit Criteria (including what features will be labeled At
> Risk).
> 3) Pass a Working Group resolution to enter Last Call, by lazy consensus or
> vote/poll.
>
> I haven't discussed a projected timeline with my co-chairs, but it is my
> personal judgment that by these criteria, we can get to Last Call sometime
> in the first half of calendar 2010.
>
> Personally, I'd like to be able to estimate a realistic target date for HTML
> WG HTML5 Last Call. We have missed the previous estimates of Q2 2008 and
> October, 2009. To make a realistic estimate, we need to decide as a Working
> Group what our Last Call criteria will be, and get a sense of how quickly we
> can move through the tracker issues.
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

Thank you, Maciej. A clear answer. And I think coming out with
criteria about what makes a true Last Call document is a good idea.

I will continue, then, working on the three items I've volunteered for
(namespaces, the use of dd/dt, and the MathML review), and try not to
get distracted by irrelevancies.

Thanks again

Shelley