Re: ISSUE-7: video-codecs - Chairs Solicit Proposals

I'm hoping that discussions at the upcoming TPAC will move this issue forward.

I will certainly be keen to move this forward - after reading and
hearing from many sides that the <video> element is essentially
useless without an agreed baseline codec, I am really keen to move
this forward.

I can foresee a dual video codec world of the future, where the
"ordinary person" will use a free and unencumbered codec (potentially
Ogg Theora/Vorbis) and all the free tools available around it to
publish their content on their sites, while large content publishers
(that in particular worry about DRM) continue using H.264 with some
DRM mechanism to publish video and pay the required royalties (since
it gives them additional value).

Let's see if we can create the environment to make this possible.

Best Regards,
Silvia.