Re: Microdata: itemid attribute (feedback)

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 12:28 AM, John Giannandrea <jg@metaweb.com> wrote:

> Martin McEvoy wrote:
>> I am unsure if itemid has any actual practical use (either that of I am
>> misunderstanding something).
>> Itemid is used as a global Identifier for an Item, its value must be
>> valid absolute url, what I am unsure of is how to actually use this?
>
> One important use case for itemid is when a page wants to identify some web
> resource only a subset of whoes data is on the page markup.
>
> For example imagine a page displaying a TV show, and links to the previous
> and next episode names, and when you click on them the JS in the page is
> able to request more data from a web service and update the DOM in place.
>  To do this it needs some token that represents the next episode, which
> would be the itemid.
>
> While you can argue that this identifier could be application and web
> service specific there is precedent from RDF that the thing being referred
> to in the markup should be a URI uniquely naming the thing.

Given that RDF has been deployed for a while now, can you give any
example where this feature has been used? I.e. where several
*independent* parties have described properties of the same object,
and used this identifying mechanism to do it. So in other words where
simply using a application or service specific identifying mechanism
would not have worked.

/ Jonas