Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

But it is often bad HTML in so far as it is not semantically correct, e.g.
Making a custom button from a bunch of divs when you could use a more
semantically appropriate element such as <button>. That isn't an intended
use of HTML?

I wish there was no need for ARIA. I wish in a future version of HTML there
would be a full range of fully css style-able controls, and when someone
thinks of a new piece of UI, if it can't be achieved semantically it is
submitted to the HTML WG and they mandate it for a future release rather
than developers hacking it up out of divs and script.

I rather idealistically feel that accessibility should be built in, not
tacked on afterward with ARIA or anything else, but we all know this utopian
world will never exist.

Phil.