Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

Lars Gunther On 09-10-22 01.53:

> 2009-10-21 15:11, Shelley Powers skrev:
>> If you go out and search on Google for "CSS link button" you get many
>> tutorials, examples, etc, that focus on styling links as buttons. If
>> you search on "JavaScript link button" you get many libraries that
>> support this functionality.

[...]

> So while I do not agree - this time - with Steve and Shelley, I must
> emphasize that the wording on the error messages in the validator must
> strongly suggest using the button element, and really not be worded in
> any way that discourages the use of ARIA.

I think the issue must be split it two:

(1) If there is conflict between the role attribute the element,
then should the validator assume that a misapplied role or a
misapplied element?

(2) What kind of roles are the <a> element meant for?

W.r.t. the first question, then I think Lars has an excellent
idea: The validator should assume that the author may have
intended the role specified in the role attribute, and in case of
conflict with the element, it should suggest to the author to use
another element.
--
leif halvard silli