Re: Canvas 2D API specification update - defining the element or not

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2009, at 2:57 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
>
>> Adrian,
>>
>> If we are going to place this in a separate specification then we will
>> need to include support for accessibility. How well we address that depends
>> on runway. For example, I believe we need a combination of:
>>
>> - DOM/ARIA support
>> - equivalent alternative content
>> - Accessibility API support.
>>
>> What is the timeline being projected for a separate canvas spec., relative
>> to HTML 5, if we were to separate it out?
>>

> The broken out spec does not include the parsing rules, the content model
> elements, and the definition of allowed markup attributes. So it can't
> define those things, they would have to be defined in HTML5 itself. And
> indeed they are. This is one reason I suggested that the breakout spec
> should be just CanvasRenderingContext2D (and related interfaces), while the
> full element definition should remain in HTML5. As it is, the split out spec
> partially defines the element, leaving gaps. I don't think breaking out part
> of the element definition makes sense.
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

I would say that what's really missing is the proposed changes to the
HTML5 document based on this proposal, because it would require both
pieces to ensure that Canvas is cleanly split out.

Doug, Eliot, was this another item you were considering, or should we
put this out for a second task?

Shelley