Re: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:42:54 +0200, Adrian Bateman
<adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I meant something like <widget:datepicker>, <widget:menubar>,
> <widget:treecontrol>. This seems fairly common in JavaScript control
> libraries and finding all instances of controls provided by the library
> is necessary. Page start-up performance for this kind of behaviour is
> important. Something like this is where you might also want to style
> across elements with CSS as Tony suggested. Of course, this is only one
> of the suggested use cases but I think it's a reasonably compelling one.

FWIW, I believe in quite a few engines class names would be even more
performant. With getElementsByClassName() (not yet in IE I believe) you'd
also have a convenient way to get them. They would also work better if you
have e.g. child nodes that you do not want to see returned in the
collection.

For a set of element names you could also use querySelector().

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/