Re: XMLNS in Inkscape and other editors

> You're correct that BOMs are optional when you correctly specify the
media type of your content.

Sorry if I'm off track or too limited in the definition, but no, I
thought the BOM was optional if you intended to serve utf-8 regardless
of the media type. Independent of anything else, if you get a utf-8
BOM, then you have utf-8. If you don't get a BOM it is also utf-8
(except for those media types that would never use utf-8?). Either
way, in principle you know you have utf-8 (except for those media
types that would never use utf-8?). .

> We're discussing the error recovery behavior when web servers do not
> correct specify the media type of
their content.

Now you must figure out how much you trust that utf-8 BOM or lack
thereof that you will always optionally get
Plus, if you don't trust or don't know the served media type, then you
are looking for a marker of some kind (maybe <! for text/html i have
to look again), to figure out the media type.

Thanks and Best,
Joe

> Adam