Re: Possible Compromise solution for namespaces in HTML5

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:32:07 -0500
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> Now, saying that ONE certain use doesn't work doesn't mean that ALL use
>> cases are doomed to fail.  So, what is the use case to focus on? Flipping
>> the data-* definition on its head, how about "elements and attributes with
>> colons in their name are provided primarily to support the use case of
>> metadata  intended for use by software that IS independent of the site that
>> uses the elements and attributes."?
>>
>> To give a few concrete examples: things like Creative Commons licenses.
>>  Dublin core.  FOAF.
>
> All three of those can be implemented using microdata or RDFa, right?
> Are they really use-cases for general-purpose namespaces of any kind?

Are you proposing that people need to dramatically modify the SVG
generated by tools such as inkscape prior to copy/pasting such content
into HTML5?  I believe that such a proposal is a non-starter.

There is no requirement that proposals be mutually exclusive.  After
all, much that can be done via CSS could have been done with XSLT.

The net effect of disallowing something that people will do and is
demonstrably useful will be to discredit validation as a useful tool.

- Sam Ruby