Re: Web Browser Preferences and Internationalisation/Accessibility

From: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:33:18 -0600
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Shelley Powers wrote:
>

>> With all due respect, Maciej, my concern wasn't based on whether the
>> object is included in HTML5, but whether coverage of the objects fits
>> within the parameters of this group's charter.
>
> My impression was that you questioned whether this list is the right venue
> for Silvia's discussion. Quoting you from earlier:

> To be clear, this list *is* the right venue for discussing the draft,
> including ideas for changing it.
>

>> Sylvia can, of course, continue the discussion here related to this
>> item, but I think it's important that she and others realize that
>> discussions of this nature will be challenged--not because the context
>> of the discussion isn't important, but because it's out of scope for
>> our effort.
>>
>> We are not a browser group.
>
> If you would like to see the spec changed to remove various categories of
> functionality, then there is a defined process for that. You are free and
> indeed encouraged to follow it. If you would simply like to discuss that
> possibility, then feel free to do that well, but I would encourage you to
> change the subject line in such cases.
>
> In the meantime, please do not attempt to quash discussion of what is in the
> draft.

That is an unfortunate response to my earlier response to Sylvia. I
wasn't attempting to "quash" her discussion, but just bringing up the
fact that this may not be the appropriate place to have the
discussion. Since this was a specific question Sylvia asked, my
response was not only appropriate, but civil.

> Regards,
> Maciej

Shelley