Re: Web Browser Preferences and Internationalisation/Accessibility

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:28:31 -0800
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>

On Nov 19, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> With all due respect, Maciej, my concern wasn't based on whether the
> object is included in HTML5, but whether coverage of the objects fits
> within the parameters of this group's charter.

My impression was that you questioned whether this list is the right
venue for Silvia's discussion. Quoting you from earlier:

>>> This does sound like a necessary and worthwhile discussion.
>>>
>>> However, I'm not sure this is the right place to have this
>>> discussion.

To be clear, this list *is* the right venue for discussing the draft,
including ideas for changing it.

> Sylvia can, of course, continue the discussion here related to this
> item, but I think it's important that she and others realize that
> discussions of this nature will be challenged--not because the context
> of the discussion isn't important, but because it's out of scope for
> our effort.
>
> We are not a browser group.

If you would like to see the spec changed to remove various categories
of functionality, then there is a defined process for that. You are
free and indeed encouraged to follow it. If you would simply like to
discuss that possibility, then feel free to do that well, but I would
encourage you to change the subject line in such cases.

In the meantime, please do not attempt to quash discussion of what is
in the draft.

Regards,
Maciej