Re: Web Browser Preferences and Internationalisation/Accessibility

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:36:30 +0000
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 07:59 -0600, Shelley Powers wrote:
> Even the reference to the navigator object is browser specific, not
> DOM specific. Though objects like window and navigator are considered
> "DOM Level 0", they're really not DOM, as we know the Document Object
> Model from previous and current implementations. They're part of the
> BOM, or Browser Object Model. Most particularly, discussions related
> to the BOM and JavaScript are not related to HTML.

I completely agree that it's an issue for HTML5 to include
specifications for window and navigator objects. I've been advocating
splitting them out for at least a year.

Yes, they're useful specifications to have, but they're NOT HTML.

They could be split out into a separate specification or specifications,
and HTML5 would probably not even need to reference them.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>