Re: XML namespaces on the Web

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:21:29 +0100
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
CC: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Aryeh Gregor On 09-11-16 19.50:

> 2009/11/16 Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>:
>> Moreover something what is appropriate for web -- non-draconian error
>> handling and error recovery -- is not necessary appropriate for other
>> domains -- if you use XML for business data interchange draconian error
>> handling makes much more sense.
>
> Parsers could be permitted to use draconian error handling at user
> request.  Then groups that don't want it don't have to have it, while
> groups that want it can have it.  The current situation gives us no
> standardized XML-like data format without draconian error-handling.
> This is a problem unless HTML is really the only use-case for
> non-draconian error-handling, which I think is very unlikely.  For
> instance, I've been told some widely-used RSS readers have seen fit to
> implement error recovery -- which must currently be completely
> non-interoperable because of the lack of standardization here.

Error recovery of XML is already dealt with: Serve your XHTML as
text/html ... In HTML 5, this concept is built out to cover SVG
and MathML.

I don't know if it would be a recommendable thing to do, but if
text/HTML supported namespaces, then, by setting the ATOM
namespace, one should be able to serve ATOM feeds as text/HTML.
--
leif halvard silli