Re: Shrinking HTML5 some more — Anne’s Weblog

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:25:24 +0200, Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>>>  The reasons why LEIRIs is not a solution are:
>>>    1) URL character encoding flag (affects the query component)
>>
>> That's a special case for HTML, and I think it should be handled over
>> there.
>
> It affects some APIs as well (e.g. window.location). This is one the
> main reasons HTML5 has a separate URL section. If we do not want such a
> section we need to address it elsewhere.
>
>>>   3) Potential other differences between LEIRIs and URLs
>>
>> And these we obviously would need to check. So which are these? (Given
>> the fact, that the specification of LEIRIs is work-in-progress)
>
> I don't know.

So other than the name LEIRI and definition of same, and where this
should be documented, we are all in agreement? :-)

I wasn't aware that Martin was actively revising the IRI specification.
  And I sense that others at the IETF/HTML5 meeting weren't either.

Is someone willing to volunteer to work with and M. Duerst and M.
Suignard to see to it that the revision is something that is usable by
the HTML 5 Working Draft?

Alternatives: DanC continues to pursue a separate draft, or Ian
continues include this section in HTML 5.

- Sam Ruby