Re: Shrinking HTML5 some more — Anne’s Weblog

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:15:35 +0100, Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> That distinction doesn't make sense to me. Why normalize when the
>> source is ISO8859-1, and not when it was UTF-8?
>
> Per http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005May/0022.html the
> main importance is documents encoded in Windows-1258 written in
> Vietnamese, but it does not elaborate on why that is so. (Or why making

It sounds like this is an edge case, in that that encoding could
potentially contain decomposed characters, which would be mapped to a
sequence of decomposed Unicode characters when the mapping is done in
the most simple way.

> IRIs work for that encoding was important but making them work for HTML,
> CSS, etc. was not.)

I'd say they work just fine; you just need to preprocess them. And also,
the work-in-progress revision of RFC 3987 already addresses this (at
least partly), by introducing LEIRIs
(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-iri-bis-05#section-7>).

BR, Julian