RE: editing the IRI spec

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 07:41:28 +0000 (UTC)
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@W3.ORG>, "Lisa.Dusseault@messagingarchitects.com" <Lisa.Dusseault@messagingarchitects.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG <public-html@W3.ORG>, Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "michelsu@microsoft.com" <michelsu@microsoft.com>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG>
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, Larry Masinter wrote:

> I think it would be "normative overlap" to have an IRI document say one
> thing and another document describe something else. This would be
> confusing and disruptive.

I agree. Dan's document, and before it, the section in HTML5, only exist
because when I e-mailed the uri@w3.org list, it was made clear that there
was no interest in making a new version of the URI RFC that defined error
handling. If we can't update the URI spec, then another spec is the only
alternative I can see.

Note though that Dan's document, and before it, the section in HTML5,
don't actually contradict the URI and IRI specs; they just define extra
processing that is applied before and after applying the URI rules.

I would much rather we update the URI spec to combine the URI rules, the
IRI rules, and the rules from Dan's document so that we have a single spec
that both defines the allowed syntax, and the processing for all input
strings, in a manner that is compatible with today's tools (networking
libraries, command-line tools, browsers, e-mail clients, etc).

Doing this should be relatively simple (there's no design work and no
decisions to make, it's all a matter of integrating the existing rules and
checking that they match existing software and fixing them where they
don't). We just need a volunteer to edit the spec (Dan?), and agreement
that this is the right thing to do.