Re: SVG in text/html

On 3/25/09, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>  Lets take as a given that the browsers will behave interoperably at some
> undefined point at the future.  The next question is one of social
> engineering.  Unquoted attributes, missing trailing slashes in empty tags,
> missing "talisman" namespace declarations are all examples of things that
> affect the viability of copy/paste between HTML documents and XML documents.

Yes, but of these, unquoted attributes are the hardest to manually
correct (namespace talisman is usually one or two at the top of the
document, search and replace "CIRCLE" with "circle").

>  2) If making "clean" HTML markup is a goal, there are a number of issues
> and only flagging a small subset of the issues on a subset of the syntax is
> much harder to defend than one that flags a relatively larger one. "<meta
> charset=utf-8>" is an example of an issue that not requiring quotes has
> caused in HTML.

I'm going after the syntax issue that I believe would cause the most
pain for users to manually correct when bringing into an editor.

>  My first observation is that if there were to be a person actually
> interested in producing a conformance checker that matches the behavior that
> the SVG Working Group desires, the argument for incorporating spec text
> *someplace* would be a bit stronger.  My read is that to date HSivonen is
> largely comfortable delegating these decisions to Ian.

Sorry, I couldn't understand this paragraph - can you clarify what you
think would be an action to take and why the effort would (might) be
worth it?

Thanks,
Jeff Schiller