Re: Element Whitelisting

On Mar 24, 2009, at 17:15, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Concretely speaking, I would like to see SVG Tiny 1.2 referenced and
> supported in HTML5, though I can also understand some reluctance to
> certain features.  However, SVG Tiny 1.2 doesn't really add that
> many new elements or attributes, so from that perspective it
> shouldn't be hard for browsers to implement them.  YMMV.

I think requiring higher-level support for a particular profile of SVG
is unlikely to fly, but adding the SVG 1.2 Tiny camelCase names to the
parser seems simple and adds only a little to the overall disk and RAM
footprint.

>> In practice, except perhaps for textArea, it should be pretty safe to
>> put 1.2 Tiny names on the list even if 1.2 Tiny isn't supported by
>> the
>> SVG implementation of the application that includes the HTML5 parser.
>> For textArea, it should either be safe to add it now or it will
>> never be
>> safe to add it.
[...]
> I wouldn't cry if <svg:textArea> were special-cased in HTML, except
> that it would be a slippery slope in terms of consistency.

I notice that Hixie didn't put 'textarea' on the break-out blacklist.
Hixie, do you have data on whether it looks safe to add a case mapping
for 'textarea' to 'textArea' considering existing content?

>> (What other 1.2 Tiny camelCase names are there in addition to
>> textArea?)
>
> Of those introduced in SVG Tiny 1.2: <solidColor>, @defaultAction,
> @focusHighlight, @initialVisibility, @mediaCharacterEncoding,
> @mediaContentEncodings, @mediaSize, @mediaTime, @playbackOrder,
> @snapshotTime, @syncBehavior, @syncBehaviorDefault, @syncMaster,
> @syncTolerance, @syncToleranceDefault, @timelineBegin,
> @transformBehavior.
>
> I think that's a fairly comprehensive list, though I might have
> missed a couple.  You'll note that most of them are inherited from
> SMIL media.

Even if these were never implemented in all browsers per 1.2T, it
seems that these names are forever taken as far as SVG goes and
unlikely to conflict with HTML. Adding case mappings for these seems
to boil down to a small footprint issue.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi