Re: "Web addresses in HTML 5" for review (ISSUE-56 urls-webarch)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 00:02:44 +0100
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:31:51 +0100, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
wrote:
> So, in particular, if I try to use the
> result of the following Python expression in an HTML5 document as the
> value of an href attribute, what does this document say should happen?
>
>    "http://www.example.org/zero"+chr(0)+"here/"

U+0000 is replaced by U+FFFD during tokenization. That character is then
"UTF-8 percent-escaped". (In case of an href DOM attribute the U+0000
would be "UTF-8 percent-escaped" as far as I can tell if you escape it
using ECMAScript escape syntax.)

> Or (and this would presumably only be different if you adopt my LEIRI
> request):
>
>    "http://www.example.org/combiningChar"+unichr(0XD800)+"here"

As far as I can tell the character is "UTF-8 percent-escaped" and not
treated in any special way. (Though it will generate an error in an HTML5
validator and is not conforming.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/