Re: SVG Feedback on HTML5 SVG Proposal

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:13:33 -0700
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, public-html@w3.org
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>
>> Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>>>
>>> All the browsers I'm familiar with (I haven't installed Chrome yet)
>>> support XML+XSLT via the xml-stylesheet processing instruction.
>>>
>>> So they all have case-preserving tokenizers whose performance is
>>> acceptable for the people who serve and read XML+XSLT.
>>
>> Which is, in the grand scheme of things, pretty much no one.  Also, if
>> you're using client-side XSLT performance on the browser is not at the top
>> of your concerns (if it were you'd be doing the transform once on
>> server-side), nor is web page responsiveness (e.g. no incremental rendering
>> with XSLT).
>
> Except in IE...

As far as I know IE doesn't support streaming input, just streaming
output. In other words, they don't start the transform or display
anything until the whole XML resource has been downloaded. But they do
start displaying the result document while the transformation is still
in progress.

Or am I wrong and they are actually cool enough to support streaming input?

/ Jonas