Re: Load event and <video>

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 03:55:51 +0100, Robert O'Callahan <
> robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>
>  We were thinking that if there's a poster image then when the poster image
>>
>>> has loaded we can stop delayig the load event without downloading any
>>> video
>>> data at all (even though the video dimensions might be different -- if
>>> they
>>> are different then that's the author's fault).
>>>

>> That sounds reasonable to me. We'd want the spec to say that while the
>> poster image is being displayed, the intrinsic dimensions of the video
>> element are the dimensions of the image.
>>

> Even if you know the dimensions of the video? Wouldn't you want to resize
> to the video's real dimensions as soon as possible? (The spec allows the
> poster image to be shown even when video data is available.)

I don't think it makes much sense to start scaling the poster when the video
dimensions become available.

Normally authors should ensure that the poster is the same size as the
video. If they don't, then I think we should change the size of the video
when we switch from displaying the poster to displaying the video.

Rob
53:5-6]