Re: Load event and <video>

On 20/03/2009 5:17 a.m., Simon Pieters wrote:
> We've been discussing a bit regarding the load event and <video>...
>[...]
> Is the above analysis correct? Surely we don't want to delay the load
> event indefinitely?

I think you're right. There's a clause in the resource-fetch algorithm:
if "enough of the media data has been fetched to determine the duration
of the media resource", the delaying-the-load-event flag should be set
to false.

But if the fetch stalls before the duration is known, we'd still delay
the load event indefinitely.

We should probably set the delaying-the-load-event flag to false when we
stall.

 > Is the intent that UAs have to download enough video
> data to know the dimensions of all videos before sending the load event?

Yes.

> We were thinking that if there's a poster image then when the poster
> image has loaded we can stop delaying the load event without downloading
> any video data at all (even though the video dimensions might be
> different -- if they are different then that's the author's fault).

Sounds reasonable.

Chris Pearce