Re: Times, dates, and related topics

On 19.03.2009, at 01:35, Ian Hickson wrote:

> I don't see how the <time> element has anything to do with this.
> Surely
> when you search a database, you would look at the actual database,
> not the
> HTML files.

> […] I really don't understand how marking up a year is useful.

For example Google's Timeline view takes data from HTML pages. It does
not have access to databases and must guess which numbers are years.

This leads to big mistakes, e.g. it suggests that Amiga computer
existed in the year 1200, while in fact that's just a model number:

http://www.google.com/views?q=commodore+amiga+view:timeline&vwdr=1200%20-%201299

Perhaps if articles about Amiga history had years marked up, then data
mining algorithm could assume that other year-like numbers are not
years.

--
regards, Kornel