Re: View Source

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> I think a toggle between real source and reserialized source on the View
> Source window, as Jonas suggested, would make sense.

There are problems that make simply reserialising the source less
valuable to developers than you might think.  Consider this fragment:

When that's parsed, the <a> element is cloned so the second paragraph,
and all subsequent markup until a </a> is found.  Simply reserialising
would result in:

(I used the HTML5lib parse tree viewer [1] to get that.  I didn't check
the spec to make sure that's totally correct)

However, a more useful solution to cleaning up the source would be to
simply close the <a> element at the end of the first paragraph and not
clone it for subsequent content.

[1] http://james.html5.org/parsetree.html

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software