Re: an interoperable object (fallback and context menus)

On Friday 2009-03-13 15:39 -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Right; I'm not suggesting that the intrinsic size API wouldn't be
> designed in such a way that all the browsers involved can implement it.
> Just that I can't speak on behalf of anyone but Gecko in terms of
> wanting to implement it.  ;)

It's worth noting that an "intrinsic size API" isn't necessarily
trivial.

If we assume that all plugins are replaced elements in terms of the
CSS model (which may well be a reasonable assumption), we probably
want the following pieces of information (in order to conform to
what CSS says about sizing replaced elements):
  * does the plugin have an intrinsic size?
    * if so, what?
    * if not, does it have an intrinsic ratio?
      * if so, what?

If they're not always replaced elements in terms of the CSS model,
then we might want an API that can answer appropriate questions for
that case, although I suspect that's not worthwhile.

-David