Re: an interoperable object (fallback and context menus)

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com> wrote:
> HI Boris,
>
> On Mar 12, 2009, at 9:28 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>
>> Robert J Burns wrote:
>>>
>>> There may be no single reasonable dimension to assume, but I would
>>> suggest that since video is inherently spatial that 0x0 is a indisputably an
>>> unreasonable dimension to assume.
>>
>> Well, hold on.  How do I know it's video?
>
> Well presumably you had to perform some algorithm on it to determine it is a
> type you don't know how to handle. In doing so you might also be able to
> eliminate some types. For example, if you determine its a mime type that
> starts audio/, then you might include zero dimensions (however, the
> competing browsers provide dimensions even for audio so it's apparently not
> a major complaint from users).

For what it's worth there are plenty of other plugins, other than
audio playing ones, that want a 0x0 size. Just yesterday I used a
plugin that provided features for signing of requests using
client-side certificates. In general, there's a fairly common class of
plugins that just provide scripting APIs to the page.

Rendered such plugins is likely not what the user wants and there is a
big risk that it'd end up rendering the page unusable due to things
moving around in unexpected ways.

That said, I don't know how often these plugins appear on pages. And
how many of them don't have an explicit 0x0 size set.

/ Jonas