Re: an interoperable object (fallback and context menus)

Robert J Burns wrote:
> I don't have firefox 2.0 handy/installed anymore, so I'm only speaking
> from memory. I think with 2.0, firefox behaved more like IE8 does now
> (and Opera, and WebKit  too) in that it provided some default non-zero
> dimensions for the embedded content.

Ah.  No, it did not.  Just double-checked to be sure on your test pages:
the flash video object gets a 0x0 size; setting some width/height styles
on the node shows the flash video.

> If plugins are limited to NSAPI , then I can understand
> how you cannot necessarily communicate inherent dimensions of media
> between plugin and browser, however there's no reason to assume zero
> height and width and provide no temporal controls to users.

The problem is that there is no reasonable width/height to assume,
really.  A further problem the last time I looked at this was that
assuming something other than 0x0 actually broke web pages that relied
on the IE6/IE7 behavior.

> Also, perhaps we should consider addressing the plugin api problems
> though incubating a new plugin architecture.

Possibly, though this particular issue really could be solved by adding
an API for intrinsic sizing to NPAPI in Gecko; there's been a bug on
that for a while now.

-Boris