Re: an interoperable object (fallback and context menus)

Robert J Burns wrote:
> The next step then is also to make it so embedding anything (or at least
> video, audio, or still image) is as easy to do as <object
> data='resource' >alternate content</object>.
> Firefox actually got worse with 3.0 (note these tests/demonstrations are
> not anywhere as clear as Leif's, but they are helpful nonetheless).

Note that there's no way your example above could work with Firefox
before 3.0, in general.  <object> support was pretty much completely
rewritten between Firefox 2 and Firefox 3.

That said,

> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2008Aug/att-0019/testObjectHTML.html#smallgif>
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2007Aug/att-0027/TestObject.html>

I don't see any obvious problems here with Firefox 3 other than the
known issue with NPAPI not being able to hand back intrinsic size
information, so that objects that need to be handled by a plug-in (e.g.
the Flash video) need the size explicitly set.  This was also the case
in Firefox 2, of course.  Are there any details anywhere about the exact
way that things for "worse" with Firefox 3?  Whatever the problem is,
I'd like to fix it.

-Boris