Re: SVG Feedback on HTML5 SVG Proposal

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Doug Schepers wrote:
>> * The SVG WG requests that minimized and unquoted attribute values raise parse
>> errors when found on SVG elements. Rationale:
>>  1. Consistent with making incorrect xmlns attributes generate parse error.
>>  2. Minimizing the number of documents which are conforming HTML whose SVG
>> fragments when copied to "image/svg+xml" are non-wellformed.
>
> This seems reasonable; what do other people think about this? (There have
> been requests that we make SVG-in-HTML support HTML-like attribute syntax.)

 From an authoring perspective, I think introducing different
requirements for attributes on HTML elements and attributes on SVG
elements in text/html would be an unnecessary complication.

Trying to explain the existing rules for attributes in HTML to authors
is hard enough without adding more complications based on which elements
they are trying to use.  I think the conforming syntax should only
depend on the serialisation being used, and that the text/html
serialisation of SVG should be syntactically similar to HTML.

Making minimised or unquoted attributes non-conforming for SVG elements
also rejects an otherwise useful optimisation, helping to reduce file
size and make handcoding easier, and that is one of the benefits of
introducing SVG in HTML anyway.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/