Re: Draft W3C Excerpt License (Re: WG Decision - spec license use cases)

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 14:03 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> Dailey, David P. wrote:
>> > I am not sure if Philippe's intention was to have this discussion here at public-html as well
>>
>> I'm not certain what plh's intentions were, but given that we were asked
>> to provide use cases as a group, I would like to gather together a
>> response as a group.  I am planning on attending the AC meeting later
>> this month, and would like to be able to represent the working group's
>> position on this matter.
>
> Having the response from the HTML Working Group prior to the AC meeting
> is going to be useful indeed, and discussion on public-html is perfectly
> appropriate. site-policy isn't a public list so it can't be used for
> useful discussion. W3C, as a SDO, isn't used to the concept of allowing
> a fork. On the other hand, the HTML community, which nowadays contains a
> significant chunk of open source individuals, is perfectly used to that
> concept. I see the current discussion as a good preparation for the one
> we'll have at the upcoming AC meeting.

This is very understandable. But I think it would gain W3C a
tremendous amount of trust if it were to allow it. To many people, me
included, having the gurentee that W3C can't go off "into the weeds"
means that I have don't have to worry about my time being wasted when
I contribute.

I think many people feel the same when they contribute to the forkable
software I represent.

/ Jonas