Re: @rel syntax in RDFa (relevant to ISSUE-60 discussion), was: Using XMLNS in link/@rel

Ben Adida wrote:
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Microformat-defined rel and class values have their usual semantics
>> regardless of whether one links a GRDDL transform converting them to RDF.
>
> How is mnot going to figure out what those semantics are to generate a
> proper link-type header? Will all microformats be added to the IETF
> link-type registry?

Could you clarify which specific microformat you're concerned with here?
  I assume you are referring to one that defines new values for @rel?

> I've read over this thread a few times, and I still haven't seen any
> technical argument against the way RDFa handles @rel that is consistent
> with specs prior to RDFa. We have an example with GRDDL (and also with
> eRDF, though it's not a w3c spec) that @profile may define an *indirect*
> way, using other elements and attributes, to interpret @rel. RDFa is no
> different.
>
> Julian argues that GRDDL is not about interpreting @rel, it's just about
> extracting RDF/XML. I don't see the difference, but if one wants to draw
> a line, then simply put RDFa on the GRDDL side and assume that it's

What exactly do you mean by "put RDFa on the GRDDL side"?

> "just a way to extract RDF/XML." I think you'd be missing out on how
> much you can get out of RDFa, but certainly if GRDDL gets a pass on
> this, then RDFa should, too.
>
> In fact, remember that RDFa also specifies @about so you can, for
> example, have multiple images each with its own unique copyright
> license. For link-type to do the right thing, it actually needs to fully
> parse the RDFa. I'd be excited to have the link-type spec do that, but I
> doubt that's within its scope. So maybe ignoring RDFa  is the right
> approach for link-type.

If by "link-type" you are referring to Mark's Internet Draft: there is
no conflict between it and RDF related technologies like RDFa. The HTTP
Link header does in HTTP response headers what link/@rel does inside
HTML. The issue, again, is the incompatibility of handling @rel in
different members of the HTML language family.

Best regards, Julian