Re: [html5] self-sufficient documents and data URI scheme

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 16:09:07 -0500, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>  From the UA implementation perspective support of this is very
>> simple:  before issuing download request for the data
>> it should lookup first for CIDs of blocks that look like: <script
>> type="text/base64" cid="images/red-dot.png"> and
>> if it was found simply use it.
>>  Such self-contained documents are convenient for the cases when HTML
>> used as a document format
>> of files stored on local storages for personal use. It also can be
>> useful in e-mails.
>
> What's the benefit over the existing MHTML format?

It's easier to author and less brittle than MHTML.

For example, <http://shadow2531.com/opera/testcases/mht/eml/html5.eml>[1] was a pain to create. An HTML5 page that just uses data URIs is much much easier.

Although, MHTML can store attachments as binary, which can reduce the size of the file. But, ymmv by client when it tries to parse the binary data. And, that can be a pain to insert into a document manually.

I think it'd be great to optimize the use of data URIs in and HTML5 document.

[1] It's .eml, but it's more or less .mht. You can view that in Opera as-is and it'll display it like a web page. Or, just view source of it to see the mime stuff.

--
Michael