Re: @rel syntax in RDFa (relevant to ISSUE-60 discussion), was: Using XMLNS in link/@rel

Ben Adida wrote:
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> I suggest changing RDFa to use full IRIs instead of CURIEs.
>
> I appreciate you putting a concrete proposal on the table.
>
> I believe it is rather arbitrary and in conflict with existing uses in
> HTML4. First, the use of IRIs in @rel is *quite* new, I know of no major
> (or even minor) vocabulary that's deployed this way.

http://philip.html5.org/data/link-rel-rev.txt has a few @rel values
starting with "http://". One is:
   <link rel="http://schemas.google.com/g/2005#feed" ...>
seemingly defined in
http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/2.0/reference.html , though
that's Atom and not HTML. The other cases all look like people got
confused by the difference between @rel and @href. So it does seem
reasonable to say that intentional use of IRIs in @rel is unusual.

(The use of prefix-colon values also seems very rare. By far the most
common is to just make up a string ("nofollow", "apple-touch-icon",
"dropmenu1", "SQDynButton", etc).)

> And finally, microformats suggest using @profile to interpret their
> @rel's and @class's.

http://philip.html5.org/data/profile-values.txt indicates that pretty
much nobody (from a roughly random selection of pages across the web)
uses @profile, except for the one value that's in the default Wordpress
template. About 130 of the pages use class="vcard" but only 4 seem to
indicate it in @profile. So the Microformats suggestion to use @profile
appears to be largely irrelevant in practice.

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk