Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> So, with respect, I understand the difficult situation that you're
> finding yourself in to make a decision about including a required
> baseline codec for the <audio> and <video> elements. But I really wonder
> if this decision really has to be made right now at this instant or
> whether there is still time to wait and see what happens in the market
> during the next months.

No decision has been made, other than to not make one for now, and that's
just my editorial position, it's not a working group decision. I am most
definitely open to further editing the spec as the situation warrants.

> Further to this topic, I wonder why Vorbis was not able to qualify for
> the <audio> tag as a baseline codec.

If anyone can get Apple to implement it, I'd be more than happy to update
the spec to mention that as the common audio codec.

> However, there is a way out of this predicament: even if not all browser
> vendors support a common standard - if there is software available that
> can extend a browser to provide the support for the standard, then
> compatibility can be provided through the back door.

That would certainly help, but it wouldn't get support onto, say, the
iPhone. I'm not sure it would really count as a common codec for the
purpose of the spec. Still, it's much better than nothing.

> It is not a situation that is desirable, however it is the situation
> that we have found ourselves in with flash and video for the last decade
> and it is workable.

I was hoping we could get away from that situation. :-)

> So, given the current situation, I can still see a solution for having a
> baseline codec that is supported in all browsers (even if not by all
> browser vendors), which is supporting the intention to "encourage the
> browser vendors to implement a common codec".

Not all browsers (e.g. not the iPhone). But certainly many of them, yes.