Re: Why I don't attend the weekly teleconference (Was: Input on the agenda)

At 11:17  -0500 29/06/09, Shelley Powers wrote:
>  >> Wouldn't another set of actions be a stronger clarification in the
>>>  HTML 5 specification about how the attribute is to be used? Isn't that
>>>  just as viable an action to take based on the concern?
>>
>  > If the hypothesis is that summary is "irrecoverably polluted",
>which is what
>>  I wrote, then clarification of how we'd hoped it would have been used
>>  instead, is rather backwards-looking, isn't it?
>>

>But can't we make the same claim about most of the web, and hence most
>web elements? After all, HTML tables are "irrecoverably polluted" if
>one examines the data that Philip derived.

No, by "irrecoverably polluted" I mean a state in which the useless
so dramatically outnumbers the useful that no-one bothers to use the
facility in question any more, since they have no expectation of
finding anything useful.

A close analogy would be email without spam filters;  if I got of the
order of 5,000 emails a week and had to sift those for the 5 or so
that are 'real', I might not bother.  (Yes, one of my accounts is
that low-volume, as it happens, but it also has an excellent ISP spam
filter, happily).

--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.