Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> I didn't really see much value in having the section purely to require a
> small subset of WAVE functionality. WAVE in this context is only really
> useful during development, and since codecs are going to be a mess anyway,
> the author can just use whatever debugging-specific codec his main UA
> supports instead.

Wave PCM is perfectly adequate for short sounds. It's fine for auditory cues
in user interfaces. It's fine for most sound effects in games.

(I've also received requests from browser vendors to not
> require WAVE support in the first place, though I have up to this point
> managed to convince them to keep WAVE support regardless.)

That baffles me. I can't think of any reason someone would have a problem
supporting Wave PCM.

Rob
53:5-6]