Re: Publishing a new draft

Simon Pieters On 09-07-29 10.06:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 03:30:20 +0200, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
> wrote:
>
>> Though I disagree with the design, but in order to reflect what the
>> draft actually says - and apparently has said all along, and thus to
>> ensure (better) review of this decision, I would like to ask Anne to
>> add to the differences document that HTML 4 Processing Statements

s/Statments/Instructions

>> count as invalid markup in HTML 5. And thus that <?php ... ?> is
>> invalid HTML according to the HTML 5 draft.
>
> It says
>
> "HTML 5 defines an HTML syntax that is compatible with HTML 4 and XHTML
> 1 documents published on the Web, but is not compatible with the more
> esoteric SGML features of HTML 4, such as the NET syntax (i.e.
> <em/content/)."

It doesn't "say". It put forward unspecific _clichés_ about
"esoteric SGML features". And incorrect ones too. PIs are
supported in UAs and much used, including by the Web's probably
most widespread server side scripting language - PHP.

(They are so well supported in UAs that the draft has had to
define them as "bogus comments".)

In fact, these clichés are colored by the text of HTML 4 itself -
a thing that otherwise is frown upon. But reality is that some of
those SGML features (including PIs) that HTML 4 itself warns about
using, in reality have wide support. [1]

> I think this is intended to include processing instructions, but I guess
> it wouldn't hurt to list more SGML features that are no longer supported.

This is the problem - that we have to /think/ instead of seeing it
black on white. It is hard to get review on esoteric texts. And
the purpose is to get review, right?

Only when I initiated the thread about "PHP code only allowed in
XHTML 5?", where I linked such diffuse language to a concrete
thing - PHP, did the developer behind the Web's most widespread,
free WYSIWYG editor step forward and declare that it would be an
error to disallow PIs in HTML 5. [2]

So the _esoteric_ text about "esoteric SGML features" should be
stricken (at least the word "esoteric") and become replaced by a
text that gives concrete list of those features. And PHP deserves
to be named as an example w.r.t. the PI syntax.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jul/0639
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jul/0609
--
leif halvard silli