Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

Am 29.07.2009 um 05:12 schrieb Silvia Pfeiffer:

> OMS is very new and really, to the public, doesn't exist yet.

That's why I try to put a little more light on that...

> OMS is so new

It's based on H.261, which is known very well and whose patent window
has expired...

> hasn't even been published in an open specification

Not? What's about
>> Open Media Stack Video Specifications
>> http://www.openmediacommons.org/collateral/OMS-video-specs.html

> Like Theora, no relevant standards body has given it it's blessing.

That's why I try to put a little bit more light on this attempt: to
raise the attention of the HTML WG (I wouldn't deny its role as a
standards body) also to OMS video and to not lose track of OMS video
besides the other alternatives.

> While that is really the only thing that's missing for Theora
> (according to some recent discussions), OMS has years of tool
> development, community improvements, and community support to catch up
> on first.

Maybe Sun's attempt with OMS video deserves a little bit more
attention than it does yet? Maybe OMS video could benefit, if
attention is raised, if people and industry contribute to OMS video
specification and implementation, to make it better and to start
implementations at all? Maybe.

> We don't even know where OMS stands wrt image quality in
> comparison to the other video codecs. However, if OMS turns out to be
> a better codec than Theora or Dirac, it stands a chance to be a
> follower within a decade.

That's why I try to promote for not losing sight of OMS video (and
possibly engage more actively in its development and improvement as
happened lately with Theora) as a possible alternative besides the two
widely discussed favorite candidates Theora and H.264. It could be
worth the try, couldn't it?

Regards,
Sierk

--