Re: formal objection to one vendor/one vote

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:49:58 +0200
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
At 7:08  -0400 13/07/09, Sam Ruby wrote:

>At the present time, I am not aware of anybody actually pursuing an
>alternative to what Ian has proposed in terms of required codecs.
>Unless I can find an owner for Issue-7, my intent is to (eventually)
>close it as resolved.

Well, I am aware of people working on some of the issues around
Ogg/Theora, I am aware of W3C staff member(s) who are looking at the
situation, I have said several times I have and still am trying to
pursue solutions when I can (though, I grant you, with nothing to
report so far), so it's not quite true no-one is working on the
problem.

>>I have also posted several times that I believe we need a
>>substantive discussion on media accessibility, and provided some
>>suggestions.  We cannot leave this area un-addressed.  Arguing
>>about the codec (a discussion which can be deferred without damage)
>>and not about accessibility (a design that will take time, take
>>experimentation, and take refinement) is not good use of our time,
>>IMHO.
>
>This is a large group.  Different people have different interests
>and can work on different aspects.

Yes, but also other people can (and probably will, anyway) criticize
for spending a lot of time on a discussion which was going nowhere,
and not spending time on matters which we could have and should have
worked on: and I see accessibility of media elements as one of those.
We cannot force volunteers to do anything, but we can overall be
critical of the results (or lack of them).
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.