Re: proposed audio/video codec text

On 7/8/09 4:28 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2009, at 6:35 AM, Rob Sayre wrote:
>
>> On 7/7/09 9:24 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>>  And likewise, I think it is important to give the issue due
>>> consideration.
>>
>> I agree, though I think we need to be careful about claims that we
>> must prove a negative. Not that you're suggesting that.
>
> Indeed, I am not asking anyone to prove a negative. I pointed out that
> the known licenses for patent claims on Theora do not satisfy the W3C
> Patent Policy. To address this would only require proving a positive,
> for example, by showing a suitable license.
>
> I believe this new information refutes your original rationale.

No offense, but I'm afraid I can't take your word for it on that.* I
would be happy to make changes based on the results of a PAG or  legal
advice.  For now, no member has stepped forward with a claim. For now, I
think it would be best to let the W3C process handle the IPR, rather
than ad-hoc traffic on the technically-focused WG.

- Rob

* Also, you didn't cite the license you're referring to.