Re: proposed audio/video codec text

On Jul 8, 2009, at 6:35 AM, Rob Sayre wrote:

> On 7/7/09 9:24 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>  And likewise, I think it is important to give the issue due
>> consideration.
>
> I agree, though I think we need to be careful about claims that we
> must prove a negative. Not that you're suggesting that.

Indeed, I am not asking anyone to prove a negative. I pointed out that
the known licenses for patent claims on Theora do not satisfy the W3C
Patent Policy. To address this would only require proving a positive,
for example, by showing a suitable license.

I believe this new information refutes your original rationale. If you
don't want to withdraw your proposal, then I would ask you to update
the rationale to be factually accurate. There are many accurate and
reasonable things you could say, for example that Theora is the codec
most likely to satisfy the Patent Policy in the future, even though it
apparently does not today, if there is reason to believe that. Or you
could provide a rationale that's not based on the Patent Policy.

Regards,
Maciej