Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 14:23:36 -0400
To: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
CC: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Hi, Henri-

Henri Sivonen wrote (on 7/3/09 5:05 AM):
> On Jul 3, 2009, at 00:50, Doug Schepers wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, Apple and Nokia are among the chief patent holders
>> for H.264.
>
> I see Apple (and Microsoft) but not Nokia on this list:
> http://www.mpegla.com/avc/avc-licensors.cfm
>
> However, Apple hasn't always been there:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20071126123130/http://www.mpegla.com/avc/avc-licensors.cfm
>

> I see Nokia on this list:
> http://www.vialicensing.com/licensing/AAC_licensors.html
>
> And I see Apple on this list:
> http://www.mpegla.com/m4s/m4s-licensors.cfm

Quite right, I misremembered past conversations, and probably should
have done my research.  Thanks for the detailed correction.

However, in some ways, the identities of the patent holders only matters
in terms of who we can and should appeal to, and who would oppose an RF
commitment.  I believe my point still remains about investigating the
possibility of finding a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs