Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Maciej Stachowiak<mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:
>
>> Have the requirements of all the companies been collected somewhere?  If
>> not, we should do so.  What are Apple's requirements?  Maybe the thing we
>> can change is those requirements.
>
> Ian stated the following requirements for a baseline codec:
>
> - is implementable without cost and distributable by anyone
> - has off-the-shelf decoder hardware chips available
> - is used widely enough to justify the extra patent exposure
> - has a quality-per-bit high enough for large volume sites
>
> I believe this is a reasonable summary of the requirements that have been
> stated by various parties.

This is an additional argument against Ian's recent edits: these
requirements were in the spec and have now been removed with the
removal of a baseline codec requirement. I hope we can get back to the
previous state and continue the discussion and developments around
baseline codecs. The previous situation was productive - the current
one isn't.

Regards,
Silvia.