Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:55:15 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Joe D Williams <joedwil@earthlink.net>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, public-html@w3.org
Ian Hickson wrote:

>> Even if a better place can be found, why not follow your previous policy
>> of adding a section to HTML5 and moving it out if/when a better venue is
>> found?
>
> Because this isn't required for interop, and so it's not critical.

Required for overlap?  I'm confused.

If we don't have a commitment to support the video element at all by the
dominant browser vendor, and the effective overlap in supported codecs
between the next three major browser vendors is zero...

... what meaningful overlap remains?

- Sam Ruby