Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 16:52:47 -0700
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Joe D Williams <joedwil@earthlink.net>, robert@ocallahan.org, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, public-html@w3.org
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>

On Jul 2, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:

> It will only change if:
> 1) patents expire (which will take too long)
> 2) we do something about it (or at least attempt to).
>
> Have the requirements of all the companies been collected
> somewhere?  If not, we should do so.  What are Apple's
> requirements?  Maybe the thing we can change is those requirements.

Ian stated the following requirements for a baseline codec:

- is implementable without cost and distributable by anyone
- has off-the-shelf decoder hardware chips available
- is used widely enough to justify the extra patent exposure
- has a quality-per-bit high enough for large volume sites

I believe this is a reasonable summary of the requirements that have
been stated by various parties.

Regards,
Maciej